Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Lion and the Lamb

The Lion laying down with a lamb is a strong symbol of peace to me. This has been my Christmas theme for cards and letters for many years.  Working for peacefulness within myself kept me focused for a long time - not realizing the triggers that would spring up in personal situations.
   I heard a powerful speaker one time, Vivian Castleberry, answer to another speaker from South Africa who was exiled at the time - during apartheid.  The African speaker relayed her poginant story of how we could not have peace until we had justice. 
   Vivian was thoughtful, as were we all.  We had gathered to discuss the upcoming "Global Women's Peace Conference,  Then she spoke to her Aftican "sister-"  If we have peace we can solve all of our problems - if we don't have peace, we cana't solve any of them."
    This stays with me as a weathervane for attitudes. 

No comments: